Physician who changed his profession to chemistry, crystallography, metallurgy and physics.
Among his great contributions to science, the following stand out:
- He developed a physicochemical method for processing platinum ore that led to handsome profits and the discovery of palladium and rhodium.
- He experimented with electricity laying the foundation for the design of the electric motor.
- He invented a zinc battery.
- He observed the dark lines of the solar spectrum that allowed the elements in the sun to be discovered.
- He did work on the hypsometer.
- He invented various optical devices: camera lucida, reflecting goniometer, meniscus lens, etc.
- He invented the Cryophorus.
If you want to know more about this scientist, his achievements and his life, click on the following link: William Hyde Wollaston